10 Budget Travel Resolutions For 2009
One of the things we look forward to each January is making our annual New Year’s resolutions. Call us crazy, but for whatever reason, the process of manic reinvention and self renewal just gets us excited.
And while we have a number of the ol’ standbys on our list (did somebody say “less caffeine, more jogging, and only red wine instead of Weihenstephans?”), we’ve also put together some travel resolutions. Drum roll, please:
Ten resolutions for budget-friendly traveling in 2009
1. I resolve to travel more.
2. I resolve to understand my bank’s ATM and credit card fees before I go. And while I’m at it, I might even call my bank ahead of time to let them know it’s me who’s traveling, rather than my stolen identity.
3. I resolve to purchase my intra-European flights on low-cost carriers as early as possible to get wild and crazy deals.
4. I resolve to stop obsessing over the daily fluctuations of exchange rates.
5 a. I resolve to understand how much I’ll get charged before using my Blackberry abroad.
5 b. I resolve to just leave my Blackberry off while I travel.
6. I resolve to rely on my memory as much as my camera.
7. I resolve to break out of my own travel mode and welcome new destinations. (Extra credit points go to fellow Cheapo-in-Chief Tom Meyers, who blasts off for St. Petersberg, Russia, in 2 weeks…)
8. I resolve to be better about frequent flyer points and awards programs, regardless if I plan to travel a long or short distance.
9. I resolve to never take a taxi to or from an airport, no matter how tired I feel.
10. I resolve to always be in the process of planning my next trip, even if it means just reading up on the destination or looking at photos.
What are your New Year’s travel resolutions? Please add them in the comment field below!