Congrats to Valerie, our Summer in Berlin Giveaway Winner!
Congratulations to Valerie, the winner of our “Summer in Berlin” giveaway! She’ll be flying with a guest on airberlin from the US, plus receiving five nights of accommodation at A&O Hostel and Hotel, and free sightseeing passes from visitBerlin!
Valerie’s submission, a fabulously illustrated series of vignettes, tells of her trip to Berlin in the 1960s, and of her longing to revisit the city, witness the changes, the new additions, and see some old friends.
Valerie’s submission was chosen by our panel of four judges, including Johnny Jet, Nomadic Matt, Grant Martin and myself. Each of us cast a private ballot, and each of us selected Valerie as one of our top three choices. Tallying up the votes, she was the clear winner.
This isn’t to say that the choice was an easy one. There were so many fantastic entries — and so many close calls. If you haven’t already, take a moment to check out the 14 finalists. You’ll meet:
• a social media sensation with a great following (Anna)
• a hilarious German-speaker with a fondness for pop-star “Nena” (Chelsea)
• a thoughtful nursing student (Julie, who also received the most votes from readers in our poll)
• a husband-and-wife team that truly deserves a trip (Greg & Emily)
• a Canadian longing for Berlin’s history (Kris)
• a kind gent whose father-in-law competed in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin (Arthur)
And that’s only half the group! All of them spoke of their fondness for travel and of their appreciation of Berlin. If only they could all go!
Obviously, this was not an easy call. So many of these received votes from the four judges, but only Valerie placed in the “top three” for all of the judges on our panel.
We really appreciate the time that each of these finalists put into their submissions, and in rallying their friends to show their support. Thanks for your entries, and we look forward to announcing our next giveaway.
Until then, congrats to Valerie, and Gute Reise!