EuroCheapo’s Greatest Blog Hits: 2007-2010
Over the past few days we relaunched our blog and gave it a major, much-needed overhaul. We added all sorts of things that didn’t exist previously to make it more navigable, social, and – we hope – easier to use.
But sort of like moving out of your first cramped apartment with no windows and poor ventilation into a house with non-clogging toilets, we can’t help but get sentimental about the change. After all, we love our blog, even on its bad hair days, and the many posts and comments that have been written since it first launched in January of 2007.
So please join us as we recap some of the hits (and misses) produced over the past few years, or at least a handful of posts that we think are funny.
- Our first post was written on January 30, 2007 and featured our then-Venice correspondent (and now-NYC neighbor) Annie Shapiro. The subject? Annie’s hunt for new hotels in Venice to add to our Editor’s Picks.
- We’ve published 1,485 posts so far and have received 2,854 comments.
- 66 writers have contributed to our blog since it launched.
- 77,173 “spams” have been caught by the WordPress anti-spam plugin Akismet. Thank you, whomever developed this plugin.
The Greatest Hits
- The most popular post so far is about taking a bus from London to Paris for £10.
- The most commented post (109 comments) is about cheap rail fares across Europe.
- The most popular post in 2010 is about using an American iPhone in Europe without going broke.
- The most popular post that has yet to receive a comment is about 5 free things to do in Venice.
- The 4th most popular post is about bikini waxes in Barcelona. No idea.
- The most popular post about hotels is this year’s Cheapo 100.
- The most popular post for our most popular city is about finding cheap tickets for concerts and operas in Paris.
Not Popular, But Worth Mentioning
- The most random contest we’ve held involved naming a celebrity being painted onto the wall of a building next door.
- The post we probably laughed at the most while putting together is about hotel ghosts we’ve photographed.
- The shortest post we’ve written is about an attempted elf robbery in Belfast.
- The worst pun we’ve included in a headline involved a cruise line that promotes all night dance parties, titled Cruisin’ for a boozin’.
We enjoy writing our blog, working with our (fab) writers, and receiving comments from our readers. Thanks to all of you who’ve contributed to the blog to date and please keep sending your helpful comments and feedback our way!