Friday List: Our Five
Some tips. Some things we can’t get out of our head. The usual.
1. Eurovision Semi-Final. Congratulations to Dmitry Koldun of Belarus, Macedonia’s Karolina, Slovenia’s Alenka Gotar, Hungary’s Magdi Rúzsa, Georgia’s Sopho, Latvia’s Bonaparti.lv, Serbia’s Marija Šerifovic, Bulgaria’s Elitsa Todorova & Stoyan Yankulov, Turkey’s Kenan Dogulu, and Moldova’s Natalia Barbu for qualifying for the final on Saturday. Much has been made of the fact that all the victors in last night’s semi-final are from Eastern Europe. We say right on—acts from Eastern European countries are injecting much needed excitement into the contest. Still, what happened to the Cypriot and Dutch entries? Edsilia, our love continues unabated.
2. SkyEurope‘s weekend fares. This weekend, the Slovak low-cost carrier is selling one-way fares for €39, including taxes. There are 10,001 flights available at this fare. Promo fares can be taken anytime between June 4 and October 27. Fares are on sale from 6 p.m. today (Central European Time) through midnight on Sunday, May 13.
3. Mattbites. Matt Armendariz’s Mattbites blog is knocking our socks off. Armendariz writes about and photographs food in a way that makes us want to merge with our meals. Well, his meals—or at least the ones he photographs. There’s little on Mattbites that we can fit into a budget European travel context, but we don’t care. We have a crush.
4. Abha Malpani’s Madrid bar tip, on Gridskipper. Liberdad 8, we’re stopping by in August. You’ve been forewarned.
5. The cheapest deal currently being promoted by budget Dutch holiday boutique chain D-Reizen: €149 per person for seven nights in an apartment in Chersonissos, Crete, including roundtrip airfare from Amsterdam, based on double occupancy, before (modest) taxes kick in. A deal’s a deal, kids.