Paris may be infamously chic, sophisticated and beautiful, but it hasn’t always been viewed as a ‘hip’ city. What do we mean by hip? You know, the kind of place that’s always one step ahead of the trends, cooler than cool. But recently, the climate has been changing, and Paris has been gaining an edge with a host of smart but affordable hostels, restaurants and cocktail bars that add a dash of hip to the elegant city.
But where should you stay in Paris to travel in style but without breaking the budget? Don’t worry, Eurocheapo has got you covered.
20 rue d’Orsel
Shared room rates from €30
Read Full Review
Village Hostel is friendly backpacker’s haunt in the heart of the much coveted Montmartre neighborhood. With a relaxed vibe and plenty of common spaces, this is a great spot to meet other travelers or cozy up with book and a café au lait. Charming and modern, Village Hostel reflects the bohemian roots of its surroundings, and includes nice touches like a book corner, impressionist-style fresco paintings and a pub that showcases artwork. Selling points include a terrace with views of the Sacré Coeur, and the attached “Bazaar Pub” that has reasonable prices and a pretty decent happy hour.
Hip spots nearby:
• Soul Kitchen: A cozy and chic restaurant in the heart of Monmartre. Try the delicious baked goods in the afternoon or the confit de canard!
• Le Bleu Club: The newest spot to go out in Paris—a night club in Barbès to see and be seen.
• Glass: A hip new cocktail bar from the owners of Candelaria.
70 rue Julien Lacroix
Shared room rates from €35
The Loft Hostel Paris is definitely a hip spot. With colorful walls, fresh, geometric patterns, floor-length windows and high ceilings, you might feel more like you’re staying in an artist’s loft than a budget hostel. Outside of the well-decorated bedrooms, the Loft Hostel also boasts a friendly lounge bar and an outdoor patio so you can unwind in style. While you could spend all day chilling out here, don’t forget that you’re in the heart of one of Paris’s trendiest neighborhoods: Belleville. Wander around and explore the charming cafés and funky bars, or take a short walk to what is surely Paris’s hippest park—le Parc des Buttes Chaumont.
Hip spots nearby:
• Le Rosa Bonheur: One of Paris’s best kept secrets, this chic bar is located inside le Parc des Buttes Chaumont.
• Cafe Cherie: A classic cafe that is perfect for a break. Take a seat in one of the red chairs on the terrace and enjoy an espresso while watching the world go by.
• Le Perchoir: A new bar in the 11th that has a stunning rooftop patio. Have an aperitif here with friends before a fun night out.
50 Avenue des Gobelins
Shared room rates from €34
Oops! Hostel is a quirky, quiet hostel near the Latin Quarter with funky interiors and all the perks (free WiFi, breakfast, linens… the works). As you enter Oops! from the busy streets of Place d’Italie, you’ll find a modern oasis with bold colored wallpaper and chic furniture. With no more than five beds per room and attached bathrooms, you’ll have more privacy here than at most Paris hostels. If you manage to score a room on the top floor, you’ll be able to enjoy one of the elegant balconies, which have tables and chairs looking over the Latin Quarter—perfect for that evening bottle of rosé to make you feel like a true Parisian. Lots to see and do in Paris? Oops! Hostel is probably the best value for its central location, with direct metro lines nearby to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Marais, Arc de Triomphe, Monmartre and the Champs Elysées.
Hip spots nearby:
• Shakespeare and Co. : Paris’s famous independent, English-language bookstore. Grab a book and read on the Seine.
• Le Piano Vache: A cozy little pub with great jazz music and all sorts of vintage photographs and posters on the walls.
• Sugarplum Cake Shop: Your spot for delicious coffee and patisserie. Bonus points: super-friendly, English-speaking staff!
Le Canal St-Martin
245 rue la Fayette
Shared room rates from €27
If all you need for your stay in Paris is a bed, a bar and a great location, then Peace and Love Hostel is the perfect spot for you. Located in the heart of Canal St-Martin, this hostel is situated away from the iconic tourist spots of Paris, and in the thick of the local nightlife. But don’t worry, you’ll still be just a five minute’s walk from two of Paris’s biggest train stations: Gare de l’Est and Gare du Nord, as well as major metro stations. Peace and Love Hostel is the ideal place to meet young travelers. Grab a pint at the ground floor pub, and you’ll be sure to find some companions for a great night out. Don’t expect too much space though—although recently renovated, this hostel focuses more on the social aspect of traveling than the comfort!
Hip spots nearby:
• Ten Belles: A super-hip cafe just off the Canal with amazing coffee and two freshly-made sandwich options each day.
• Jules et Shim: The best bi-bim-bap you’ll find in Paris, with a cute interior to boot. Grab a meal to-go and have a picnic on the Canal!
• Le Comptoir General: An eclectic and eccentric bar and venue that has it all—couches for lounging, a dance floor to get down, a tiki bar for tropical drinks (fresh-squeezed ginger juice, anyone?), a snack bar and even a thrift store upstairs.