If Not You, Then Who is Turkey’s Person of the Year?
The Istanbul First Criminal Peace Court banned access to YouTube throughout Turkey earlier this week after a video deemed insulting to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk—the founder of the Turkish Republic—turned up on the site.
Since it’s illegal to insult Turkish culture in Turkey (just ask Nobel prize-winner Orhan Pamuk) these Ataturk-critical videos have caused considerable consternation among nationalists. Even though the latest clip featuring Ataturk was removed from YouTube, it produced one stream too many.
The incident was lamented by both progressive-minded Turks and intrepid European travel guide editors eager to cover Istanbul.
About the author
TJ developed a taste for travel while living (and ostensibly) studying in Rome. He soon began catching bargain-basement Ryanair flights to various European destinations, where he would immediately scope out the dodgiest bar upon arrival. (He also saw some art along the way.) After returning to SUNY Albany, he developed an independent study in travel writing, which was mostly an excuse to drive cross-country. The 7200 mile trip, made in 11 days with two friends in a very small red car, culminated in a collection of essays called MOVE!, which he describes as incredibly self-indulgent and quite un-publishable. After moving to Manhattan, he found his way to EuroCheapo and has spent most of his time writing reviews for the New York City listings.
Most popular posts
- Rome Shopping: 5 spots to find Roman fashion for every budget
- Using an American iPhone in Europe… without going broke
- iPhone in Europe: How to set up your phone to avoid a billing “surprise”
- Amsterdam: How to avoid the epic Anne Frank House line
- 7 overlooked and under-visited European destinations that offer extraordinary value
- Madrid: 5 ways to dress like a local
- iPhone in Europe: Information for AT&T customers
- Planning a trip to Europe? Avoid these 10 costly mistakes
- A guide to supermarkets in Paris
- 10-day Itinerary in Spain: Touring Barcelona, Seville & Madrid, with budget tips
Find us on Facebook
Find ways to save in…
- Czech Republic
- Eastern Europe
- Southeast Europe
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Other Destinations