Rome: Deep-Fried Arancini For A Two-Dollar Dinner
One of the cheapest eats in Rome is also one of the most sinfully delicious, deep-fried foods you may ever sink your teeth into: Arancini. These tasty little temptations are baseball-sized rice balls stuffed with anything from prosciutto and mozzarella, to squid ink and pistachios. Gourmands may recognize them as the fat Sicilian cousins of the equally delish suppli.
At Mondo Arancina, the city’s undisputed arancini king, they cost you a shiny €2 coin. (So, fine, they’re more like $2.64!) The shop also specializes in pizza buy the slice, but what’s the novelty in that?
About the author
Annie Shapero was born and raised in the cosmopolitan oasis of Columbia, Missouri. A call to the big city brought her to Chicago, where she pursued a degree at DePaul University's theatre conservatory. Four years of "rigorous, professional" training and a minor in Italian language led her to her next destination: Rome, a city of natural born tragedians with a flair for comedy. There she put her dreams of Broadway stardom on hold and took up a wild series of careers (including "marketing strategist" for an edible Egyptian insecticide). Eventually, she found her niche: writing for "WHERE Magazine Rome." When not in Rome, Annie hops about the Mediterranean, indulging in the local gastronomic and dance traditions. Ole´!
Most popular posts
- 15 reasons to visit Paris in 2015
- Rome Shopping: 5 spots to find Roman fashion for every budget
- iPhone in Europe: How to set up your phone to avoid a billing “surprise”
- Why You Should Never Buy Water in Paris
- A guide to supermarkets in Paris
- Using an American iPhone in Europe… without going broke
- 10-day Itinerary in Spain: Touring Barcelona, Seville & Madrid, with budget tips
- Madrid: 5 ways to dress like a local
- Rome Winter Sales: 5 things to know before you shop
- Amsterdam Hotel Advice: Read this first
Find us on Facebook
Find ways to save in…
- Czech Republic
- Eastern Europe
- Southeast Europe
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Other Destinations