Rome: Mercato Trionfale, Prati
The Mercato Trionfale, in the Prati neighborhood, goes often without mention in the guidebooks. While it isn’t particularly charming, it’s one of the largest, cheapest, and most authentic city markets in Rome.
The market stretches up and down both sides of Via Andrea Doria. Clothing, housewares, fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese, wine, and even breads are among the market’s offerings.
The best of the bargains are found at the first stand on the the corner of Via Andrea Doria and Largo Trionfale, where fruit is hawked by the kilo. While you’d never ordinarily think that you would need a kilo of celery, or two kilos of oranges, the €1 price tags might just change your perspective on bulk fruit purchase.
About the author
Annie Shapero was born and raised in the cosmopolitan oasis of Columbia, Missouri. A call to the big city brought her to Chicago, where she pursued a degree at DePaul University's theatre conservatory. Four years of "rigorous, professional" training and a minor in Italian language led her to her next destination: Rome, a city of natural born tragedians with a flair for comedy. There she put her dreams of Broadway stardom on hold and took up a wild series of careers (including "marketing strategist" for an edible Egyptian insecticide). Eventually, she found her niche: writing for "WHERE Magazine Rome." When not in Rome, Annie hops about the Mediterranean, indulging in the local gastronomic and dance traditions. Ole´!
Most popular posts
- Rome Shopping: 5 spots to find Roman fashion for every budget
- Using an American iPhone in Europe… without going broke
- iPhone in Europe: How to set up your phone to avoid a billing “surprise”
- 10 free things that will make you fall in love with London
- 7 Ways to Make Your Travel Dollar Even Stronger Abroad
- Planning a trip to Europe? Avoid these 10 costly mistakes
- Amsterdam: How to avoid the epic Anne Frank House line
- iPhone in Europe: Information for AT&T customers
- Madrid: 5 ways to dress like a local
- 10-day Itinerary in Spain: Touring Barcelona, Seville & Madrid, with budget tips
Find us on Facebook
Find ways to save in…
- Czech Republic
- Eastern Europe
- Southeast Europe
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Other Destinations