About this flight
The carrier: Ryanair
The big daddy of them all, Irish low-cost carrier Ryanair maintains the most awe-inspiring route map and tends to add new destinations (and cancel unprofitable routes) at blistering, breakneck speed. Founded in 1985, Ryanair was Europe's original low fares airline and is still Europe's largest low fares carrier. At current count, Ryanair operates well over 1000 routes, from Inverness to Brindisi; Tampere to Tenerife.
It's easy to have lots of opinions about Ryanair; we certainly do. It's a big monster of an airline. We've been pleased as punch on Ryanair, psyched to take advantage of insanely cheap fares, and we've also been annoyed beyond belief with the airline, distressed by enormous surcharges on too-heavy luggage and staff who appear to be completely clueless.
With Ryanair more than with the other airlines we describe here, it pays to be informed about potential penalties and pitfalls.
Massive number of destinations. Really cheap fares.
Numerous extra charges when booking. Customer care isn't a priority. Food prices on board very steep.
* Carry-on: One piece of luggage not to exceed 10 kg.
* Checked: Up to 3 bags with a combined weight of 15 kg. If booked on-line using Ryanair, the first bag is €15 and the second and third bags are €20 each. Over 15 kg, €15 per kg at the airport. Please note that Ryanair increases the price by €5 in July and August.
* Please visit Ryanair’s website for more information on its baggage policy.
Since Ryanair is free for all when it comes to landing seats, it can sometimes be worth it to pay the €5 for priority boarding. In advance, book priority boarding status online, if you hold an EU passport.
Check-in and Ticketing
If you check in at the airport, you will also incur a €5 fee. The fee is €10 at the airport. Note that American passengers can only check in at the airport. Online check-in is available from 15 days to 4 hours before departure. The boarding pass can be printed until 40 minutes before departure. If you lose your pass then you will have to pay a fee to have a new one reissued. Bag drop closes 40 minutes before departure, so if you check-in online you must make sure to have your bags in on time.
Book online whenever possible because fees are significantly reduced. Also familiarize yourself with Ryanair's table of fees.more...
Departure: Girona, Spain - Costa Brava (GRO)
Girona - Costa Brava Airport is an important airport for tourism, and the airport has enjoyed a growth in traffic recently due to the arrival of various low-cost carriers. Girona – Costa Brava Airport is well connected to the Costa Brava, the Pyrenees, and Barcelona (many people use Girona Airport as an alternative airport for Barcelona, though it is 92 km (57.5 miles) to the north). Passengers are able to transfer to Barcelona by bus, taxi or train.
Girona - Costa Brava Airport is located 12km south from the city of Girona, next to the small village of Vilobí d'Onyar, in the north-east of Catalonia, Spain.
• Rail: Although there are no Girona Airport Trains available, travelers are able to take the Girona Airport Bus or a Taxi to the train station and transfer from there. Girona Trains run to Barcelona roughly 30 minutes and ticket prices will vary depending on which company you use and what time of day it is.
For more specific information about schedules and fares consult the RENFE train Official Website. If you are headed to Barcelona, you can transfer from the train to the Barcelona Metro. For maps, fares, and schedules look at the official website of the Metro.
• Bus: As a result of Ryanair passengers traveling to Barcelona via The Girona Airport, buses have increased in response to the large demand. Ryanair now has a bus line that covers the Airport-Girona and Airport-Barcelona routes. The ticket sales office is located on the ground floor, in the Arrivals Hall. There are four buses at Girona Airport and you can find them all at the stop outside of the Girona Airport Arrivals Hall.
There are also bus services that connect the airport with the towns on the Costa Brava / Maresme (Tossa de Mar, Lloret de Mar, Blanes, Malgrat de Mar, Santa Susanna, Pineda de Mar and Calella de la Costa) and Costa Brava / North (Figueres, Roses, Pineda, Calella and Tossa de Mar).
• Taxi: If there are no taxis at the airport's taxi rank, you can phone for one at Taxi Girona. All taxis must have a complaints book where travelers can detail any disagreement they may have about the service. Taxis at the airport's official taxi rank are equipped with taximeters for journeys to different parts of the province and Barcelona. The taximeter will show the fare, as well as any applicable supplements.
Keep in mind that the number of passengers traveling inside the vehicle does not affect the fare. Most taxis hold a maximum of four people and their baggage (1 suitcase and 1 piece of hand baggage per person). If you have many bags, look for a hatchback taxi that has more room or go to the information desk and ask them to order a larger taxi.
Although small, Girona Airport has a few shops and restaurants for its travelers. There are various information centers throughout the airport as well. Other services include ATMs, a post box, and lost luggage offices.more...
Arrival: London, United Kingdom - Gatwick (LGW)
Gatwick is London's (and the UK's) second-busiest airport and Europe's sixth-busiest. Gatwick is a major hub that sits roughly between London and Brighton, about 50 miles (30 km) south of London. Low-cost leader easyJet rules Gatwick along with British Airways. Many other budget and charter airlines fly into Gatwick, including Monarch and Thomsonfly. Location: Gatwick Airport is located 45 km (28 miles) south of London. Transport: - Rail: A free transit train connects Gatwick’s North and South terminals to the main rail station nearby. In the arrivals hall of both terminals there's a rail info desk where you can purchase tickets and obtain rail schedules. The Gatwick Express offers high-speed train shuttle service between Gatwick Airport and downtown London. The journey only takes half an hour. For more information, including time tables and cost, check out the Gatwick Express's Official Website. Express trains between Gatwick and Heathrow as well as Gatwick and Stansted are also available every 15 minutes. - Bus: The local bus service runs to and from both Gatwick terminals to various destinations including Crawley, Horley, Redhill and Horsham, as well as other local stops. The bus lines include: 'Fastway 10' every eight minutes with 24-hour service, 'Fastway 20' every 20 minutes, Route 100 every 20 minutes, and Gatwick Direct 200 every 30 minutes. There is also an express coach available between the airport and the London Victoria Coach station. For more information on the express coach consult the Official Website. Every 30 minutes, bus lines run between Gatwick and Heathrow and Gatwick and Stansted airports as well. - Taxi: Checker Cars is the taxi company that serves Gatwick Airport. They operate on a quoted fare system but cars may also be pre-booked with fares paid either in advance or after the journey. The Checker Cars booking office is located in the North Terminal Arrivals Hall. A taxi into the city will take approximately 65 minutes. Service:There are information desks in each airport terminal that are open 24-hours with multi-lingual staff available. Both terminals have a currency exchange as well as ATMs. In the South Terminal there is a 24-hour internet cafe and a post office. The airport also has wireless internet available, numerous bars, restaurants, and cafes as well as shops and duty-free outlets. Other facilities include baby changing rooms and showers, a children's play area, and a medical center that offers vaccinations.more...
Other flights between these cities
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Gatwick (LGW) on easyJet
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Gatwick (LGW) on Ryanair
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Gatwick (LGW) on Norwegian Air Shuttle
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Luton Apt (LTN) on easyJet
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Luton Apt (LTN) on Ryanair
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) on easyJet
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) on Ryanair
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) on Germanwings
- Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona International (BCN) to Southampton, United Kingdom - Southampton (SOU) on Ryanair
- Girona, Spain - Costa Brava (GRO) to London, United Kingdom - Gatwick (LGW) on Thomsonfly
- Girona, Spain - Costa Brava (GRO) to London, United Kingdom - Luton Apt (LTN) on Ryanair
- Girona, Spain - Costa Brava (GRO) to London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) on Ryanair
- Girona, Spain - Costa Brava (GRO) to Southampton, United Kingdom - Southampton (SOU) on Ryanair
- Perpignan, France - Rivesaltes (PGF) to London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) on Ryanair
- Perpignan, France - Rivesaltes (PGF) to Southampton, United Kingdom - Southampton (SOU) on Flybe
- London, United Kingdom - London City Apt (LCY) - 13km (8 miles)
- London, United Kingdom - Heathrow (LHR) - 23km (15 miles)
- London, United Kingdom - Luton Apt (LTN) - 45km (28 miles)
- London, United Kingdom - Southend (SEN) - 58km (36 miles)
- London, United Kingdom - Stansted (STN) - 50km (31 miles)
- Southampton, United Kingdom - Southampton (SOU) - 105km (65 miles)