- Home base: Birmingham, United Kingdom - Birmingham Intl (BHX)
- Year established: 1979
- Major hubs: Edinburgh, United Kingdom - Edinburgh International (Turnhouse) (EDI), Exeter, United Kingdom - Exeter International (EXT), Manchester, United Kingdom - Manchester Intl (MAN), Southampton, United Kingdom - Southampton (SOU)
- Cities served: 57
- Routes offered: 1156
- Website: flybe.com
About this airline
Flybe has emerged as a budget airline to watch—now Europe’s largest regional low-cost airline. The UK-based low-cost carrier acquired most of British Airways' BA Connect routes in 2007, and currently operates a dense route map in and out of the UK, with especially good connections to destinations in France.
Most notable about Flybe: its connections to out-of-the-way corners of the British Isles that don't get a lot of low-cost air traffic— destinations like Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey. Flybe operates out of more UK airports than any other airline.
Recently expanded network has yielded impressive destination list. Lots of new airplanes.
Booking over the phone is extremely expensive. In general, there are many hidden fees and charges. Some of these include a booking fee of €5, as well as a credit card supplement (€1.50), and a charge for seating. All tickets are non-refundable.
• Carry-on: Up to 10 kg of hand luggage.
• Checked: Depending on your class (Essentials, New Economy, Plus), the baggage allowances vary dramatically. Essentials must purchase their checked baggage, with prices ranging from €19 (for a 15 kg bag booked online) to €68 (for two bags totalling 40 kg, booked on the phone). New Economy passengers are allowed a 20 kg bag free of charge, and can pay €38 for two bags totalling 40 kg (booked online). Finally, Plus passengers receive the largest baggage allowance (two bags totalling 40 kg) for free.
Any baggage that weighs more than the allotted amount is charged €20 per kilo.
* Please visit Flybe’s website for more information on its baggage policy.
You can pre-book seats up to 24 hours before the flight departs. You may pre-assign your seat for €9 per flight per sector and €22 for bulkhead and exit row seats. (New Economy passengers can book a standard seat free of charge and a bulkhead seat for a discount, while Plus passengers can book any seat without an extra fee.) Once seats have been pre-booked and paid for the charges are non-refundable.
Check-in and Ticketing
Online check-in is available at most airports from 36 hours to 1 hour before departure.