Trams (tramvaj) run throughout Prague and operate frequently between 4:30 a.m. and midnight. Late night trams run with reduced schedules, departing every 40 minutes from 12:30 to 4:30 a.m. Pick up a detailed map at the tourist office.
The Tram System: Getting around Prague
Prague's tram system works perfectly as a budget stand-in for a tour bus service! Photo: ¡Carlitos.
Ticket costs begin at CZK24, which will get you a short-term, 30 minute ticket (often all you need), while a 90-minute ticket costs CZK32. Prague public transport also offers one and three-day tickets, for CZK110 and CZK310, respectively.
Half-off discounts are granted for children (up to 15 years of age) and seniors (over 60) on the 30-minute, 90-minute and one-day passes.
The ticket for the tram is the same as the Prague metro, and can likewise can be purchased in metro stations, tobacconists, kiosks and hotels. Ticket machines are also located at certain tram stops, which are listed on the Prague public transport website.
Remember to stamp and validate your ticket before boarding, as plainclothes inspectors will fine you on the spot for riding without a valid ticket.
The tram is also the best way to see Prague's hills and spills. Tram #22's route takes in Vinohrady and Hradcany. Night trams #51 through #58 all pass by Lazarska in Nove Mesto. However, beware of pickpockets while checking out the amazing views!
Most popular hotels in Prague (by views)
Prague blog posts
- Germany to Prague: Under-the-radar travel options and finding special fares
- Back on Track: Europe’s principal east-west rail route restored today
- Changes to Summer Train Service After the Floods
- Deutsche Bahn’s new bus service connects Berlin with Krakow from €29
- Flood Alert: Train cancellations in the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany and beyond
- Prague to Berlin: A train ride worth taking
- Prague: 5 hostel picks for every kind of Cheapo
- Summer 2012 Rail Services in Europe
- European Rail Services: Big changes in Greece
- Eurolines: International coach journeys in Europe