Barcelona Cheap Eats: 8 delicious lunch deals
Note: This article was updated on September 19, 2014 with new links, photos and information.
Menu prices around Barcelona. have risen over the past few years, but fixed-price lunch menus still remain an excellent value throughout the city. That’s good news for Cheapos.
Here’s a brief list of budget-friendly restaurants that offer great lunch deals. We’ve tried to cover all the central neighborhoods, so that no matter where you are in the city, you can always find something good to eat.
And if you’re still hungry after reading about these deals, we have plenty of other articles on Barcelona cheap eats including recommended outdoor eateries, cheap restaurant picks and tips to keep your eats cheap in Barcelona.
Lunch near Las Ramblas
If it’s lunchtime and you’re walking down Las Ramblas, you will want to avoid the ridiculously over-priced drinks and over-cooked food that lurks nearby. Instead try:
• La Fonda (Carrer Jerusalem, 3): An elegant yet modern setting sets the tone for the Mediterranean menu using ingredients from the nearby Boqueria Market. Lunch set menu is around €15.
• Fonda de España (Carrer Sant Pau, 9): This restaurant, located inside the Hotel España, sparkles with an ornate, tiled, and chandeliered modernista dining room designed by architect Domenech i Muntaner. It’s a wonderful backdrop for a substantial €27 (inc. tax) lunch. That’s not so cheap, but it’s worth a splurge for a special meal.
Lunch near Passeig de Gracia
• La Rita (Carrer Aragó, 279): Given its consistent quality, service and value, La Rita is my favorite lunchtime restaurant. The menu costs just €10.40 (including tax) for a three-course lunch with bread, wine and water. Desserts are excellent. The restaurant is very popular with local office workers, so expect to wait in line for ten minutes or so.
• Madrid-Barcelona (Carrer Aragó, 284): If you’re looking for a classic lunch experience, this traditional Spanish cafe serves up excellent food. The menu here is a great value at €15.
• Divinus (Passeig de Gràcia, 28): For a filling Mediterranean meal, it’s hard to beat the deal here in this modern dining room. For €10.50 diners get three choices for each course including an appetizer, main course and dessert.
Lunch near Plaza Catalunya
• Xaica (Calle Jovellanos, 5-7): For a cheap and cheerful meal at a set-price, with self-service menu, check out Xaica. They serve three-courses, wine, beer or a soft drink, from €10.
Lunch near El Born
• Origen 99’9% (Pg. del Born 4): Just across the street from the gorgeous Santa Maria del Mar church, you’ll find Origen 99’9% with a tasty €17 set menu (for lunch or dinner) featuring a sample of dishes form across Catalonia. They also have a location in Gracia.
Lunch near La Sagrada Familia
By all means, avoid all of the fast food joints and head for…
• Els Pollos de Llull (Carrer Nàpols, 272): Els Pollos serves a delicious two-course lunch for €6.95 (three-courses for €7.95). The pickings often include organic chicken with rice and a variety of organic yogurts. It’s a five minute walk from Sagrada Familia.
Related: Tips for visiting La Sagrada Familia