Brussels, the capital of Belgium, acts as the headquarters for NATO and is the center of the European Union. As such, the city is filled with bankers, business men and women, members of the European seat of Parliament, tourists and travelers on stopovers or en route to and from other European destinations.
Welcome to Brussels
Just south of the Grand Place you'll find the celebrated icon of Brussels, Manneken Pis (Dutch for "little man peeing"). He stands two feet tall, gets dolled up (literally) for each of the major holidays and is a legendary figure of Belgian life.
The two main languages spoken in Brussels are French and Flemish, although most Bruxelloise (as they are called in French) choose to parlez francais. Some people—especially in the area known as Marolles—speak a dialect that's a mix of Dutch and French.
Ready to plan your trip to Brussels? Get started here:
- Set your budget: One of the first steps of budget travel is figuring out how much you might spend. Our Expect to Spend guide will give you an idea of what it costs to eat and sleep in Brussels (plus we give a few tips).
- Get psyched: Make sure to leave a little room in that budget from some sightseeing. Check out our Budget Tips for prices on the most popular attractions (we’ll also tell you which sights in Brussels are free!).
- Sleep cheap: Our favorite part! Take a look at our favorite cheap hotels in Brussels and get to traveling booking.
Most popular hotels in Brussels (by views)
Brussels blog posts
- 8 unusual cheap hotels in Europe
- Paris to Brussels and Beyond: Essential Thalys
- Terminal Retreats: Railway station lounges
- Holland and Belgium: Consider smaller destinations beyond the capitals
- Eurostar Expands its Network: London to Aix-en-Provence from £109 return
- 3 Rail Tips for 2013: Consider regional passes, return tickets and stopovers
- Train Tickets: Britain to Continental Europe
- Eurostar Sale: 39 euro tickets from Paris – London, for late 2012 travel
- Eurolines: International coach journeys in Europe
- Eurostar Links: Beyond Paris and Brussels