Straddling the River Main in southwest Germany, Frankfurt am Main (Frankfurt to friends) is the country’s fifth-largest city. A 14th-century trade center, Frankfurt has earned nicknames like “Bankfurt” and “Mainhattan.” The latter moniker is as much thanks to its snazzy modern skyscrapers—which sprouted after much of the city was destroyed by Allied bombers—as to its reputation as a business and financial center.
Welcome to Frankfurt
But it’s not all suits, stocks and skyscrapers here. Frankfurt is also known for its thriving cultural scene, including numerous well-respected theaters, galleries and museums. And if you still don’t believe that Frankfurters know how to have fun, just spend an evening sharing a jug of local apple wine with them (but don’t be surprised if you wind up dancing till dawn at one of their favorite pulsing clubs).
Ready to plan your trip to Frankfurt? Get started here:
Set the hotel scene: Frankfurt’s got its share of solid budget picks, plus a few crush-worthy gems. Our hotel overview will tell you what to expect in a Frankfurt budget hotel—and give tips about when and where to book.
Find a place to sleep: We scoured Frankfurt’s streets for the best deals and hotel personalities. Read our reviews of cheap hotels in Frankfurt.
- Budget away: From museum prices to transportation passes, our budget tips will tell you how to get the most bang for your buck in “Bankfurt.”
Most popular hotels in Frankfurt (by views)
Frankfurt blog posts
- Finding free Wi-Fi at German airports
- Flying across the Atlantic: Creative and cheap ways to get to Europe
- 8 unusual cheap hotels in Europe
- Back on Track: Europe’s principal east-west rail route restored today
- Deutsche Bahn’s new bus service connects Berlin with Krakow from €29
- Terminal Heaven: The lounge phenomenon
- Book Review: A very Rough Guide to Germany
- Kassel’s dOCUMENTA Exhibition: Get your modern art fix through Sept. 16
- Win a trip to Germany, courtesy of airberlin, A&O Hostels and EuroCheapo!
- EuroCheapo Launches a Guide to Hotels in Frankfurt