Worried how your pocketbook will fare when you head to tulip territory? Never fear. We'll tell you what you can expect, in everything from hotel rates to protection from pickpockets. (Just don't say we've never done anything for you.)
Expect to Spend: Amsterdam
1- and 2-star hotels with few amenities cost an average of €100 for a double room, depending on location, renovation status and placement of toilet and shower facilities. 3-star hotels run around €150 for a double room.
Meals range in price from a few euros for coffee and a snack to the extremely high prices common in most big European cities. Sit-down meals range in price between €6 and €15 per meal. Worth-the-splurge places are around €25 per person. You can expect to pay around €45 for a swank set-price menu.
Tipping in Amsterdam is neither expected nor mandatory. Service charges are included in all hotel, taxi, restaurant and shopping bills. Bartenders will usually find the offer of a tip surprising. Exceptions to this general rule include taxi drivers (who should receive a tip in the amount of 10% of the total fare), bathroom attendants (who should be given about €.50 per visit) and restaurant waiters (who can be tipped according to your discretion).
Read more about this in our post on tipping in Amsterdam.
Unfortunately, pickpockets are prevalent enough in Amsterdam to merit public service warnings posted all over town. Alas, never carry more cash than you need. If you're bringing more than one credit card with you on your trip, consider leaving one of them in your hotel room.
Related posts from our blog
- Amsterdam: The Best Budget Theme Hotels
- Free Amsterdam: Gardens, art, ferries, conversation
- Amsterdam: The cheapest bike in town
Popular hotels in Amsterdam (by views)
Amsterdam blog posts
- Amsterdam: How to avoid the epic Anne Frank House line
- Visiting Amsterdam: 5 first-time mistakes to avoid
- Everyone is high in Amsterdam – and 5 other myths about the city debunked
- Amsterdam: 10 tips to bike and blend in like a local
- Amsterdam City Card: New expanded savings within the metropolitan area
- Amsterdam & Region Day Ticket: The pros and cons of this 24-hour deal
- Free Amsterdam: The ultimate guide from ferries to art galleries
- 8 unusual cheap hotels in Europe
- 5 cheapo souvenir ideas to bring home from Amsterdam
- Lost Links: European night train changes for 2014