Should you rent a car in Amsterdam? We can't make that decision for you, sillies, but we can help you sort out the upsides and downsides to car rentals in Amsterdam. We'll tell you what you can expect to pay for a day's car rental and warn you off automatics. Read up, Cheapos!
Amsterdam Car Rentals
Why rent a car in Amsterdam?
Rental cars can be an ideal way to explore the picturesque towns and countryside of the Netherlands. Within the city, however, rental cars are anything but ideal. City ordinances restrict automobile access, parking spaces are very limited (especially without permits) and car break-ins are common.
Who can rent a car in Amsterdam?
To rent a car from most establishments in Amsterdam and indeed throughout the Netherlands, you must be 21 years old. Try to get a policy including roadside assistance. Including the basics and taxes, most national company rental car prices start at about €90 per day. Cars with automatic transmission cost twice as much as standard manuals and can be hard to find.
How do you rent a car in Amsterdam?
To find the cheapest rental car prices, we recommend Auto Europe. EuroCheapo has partnered with Auto Europe to offer the guaranteed cheapest prices on rental cars in Amsterdam and the Netherlands. (Read more about cheap rental cars in Europe.)
Some rental car packages include unlimited kilometers, and others don't. Some have insurance against theft or collision; again, others don't. Be sure to ask. Generally, be sure to get the details regarding insurance and accidents, as plans vary. Sometimes paying cash makes a difference in insurance coverage.
To drive in the Netherlands, you must be over 18. An International Driving Permit is recommended.
To check car rental rates in Amsterdam, click here.
Most popular hotels in Amsterdam (by views)
Amsterdam blog posts
- Amsterdam: 10 phrases that tourists should never say
- Amsterdam: Top 5 parks offering an escape to nature
- Amsterdam Bus Tips: How to ride the bus like a pro
- Amsterdam’s Best Burger: 5 safe bets for a delicious and cheap meal
- Amsterdam Cheap Eats: 5 restaurant chains worth trying
- 16 Easy ways to save on trips to Europe in 2013
- Amsterdam: How to avoid crowds at the city’s most popular attractions
- Amsterdam: 5 easy ways to save on dining
- Holland and Belgium: Consider smaller destinations beyond the capitals
- Amsterdam in 2013: Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh reopen, canals turn 400, and more.