Berlin is surprisingly inexpensive, a real budget gem for Cheapos like us. Bargains and deals can be found for hotels and restaurants as well as bars and other attractions. And this, dear Cheapos, is what we call good news.
Expect to Spend: Berlin
Berlin hotels are less expensive than those in far less dynamic European cities. You'll not only spend less than you would in countless other destinations, you'll also find that your euro will stretch further at some truly remarkable small Berlin hotels.
Low rates mean that you'll be able to stay at high-quality hotels and spend about what you would on budget rooms in other German cities. And most Berlin properties—from super-cheap hostels, like the lively baxpax Kreuzberg or the simple (and shipshape) Eastern Comfort Hostel Boat, to snazzier digs like the glamorous Pension Funk or the funky-fresh Michelberger Hotel—have style to spare.
Moderate hotel doubles in Berlin will range between €48 and €110 per night. We set our maximum nightly double rate for Berlin at €100 on low season.
In line with its hotel offerings, Berlin restaurants won't destroy your wallet. Fine restaurants are cheaper (though not dramatically so) than comparable restaurants in other big European cultural capitals. And cafés and small restaurants are a great value, providing lunch for as little as €8.
Don't neglect "imbiss" (fast-food) kiosks. Often featuring Turkish food, "imbiss" kiosks provide cheapo delights somewhere between a snack and a full meal in size. Meateaters who spend time in Germany will invariably discover and fall in love with the döner kebab. (Never fear vegivores—the falafel is not to be missed!) Döner kebabs are a truly hybrid Turkish-German fast food delight. Developed in Berlin's Kreuzberg neighborhood in the early 1970s, they are a clear variation on the traditional Turkish fare. Grilled meat and salad is stuffed into a pita and doused with a sauce. Presto: a cheapo dream meal! Expect to pay around €2 for a döner kebab purchased at an imbiss.
Related posts from our blog
Most popular hotels in Berlin (by views)
Berlin blog posts
- The €2 urban oasis: Enjoy blooms year-round in Berlin’s Britzer Garten
- Riding the budget bus lines in Germany with fares from €5
- Berlin in 2014: Book your ticket for these 5 can’t-miss events
- Berlin public transit tickets: Getting the most for your money
- 8 unusual cheap hotels in Europe
- Berlin’s Turkish Hamams: Where to get a good scrubdown
- Lost Links: European night train changes for 2014
- ‘Tis the season for these 5 Christmas markets in Berlin
- Save on Saturday train travel in Germany with Samstags-Tickets
- Back on Track: Europe’s principal east-west rail route restored today