Berlin is that rare gem of a Western European capital. Full of culture and attractions, it's also significantly underpopulated and financially broke. This means that restaurants, hotels and cafés are all much less expensive than they are in other Western European cities of Berlin's size and vitality.
Welcome to Berlin
Bargains exist against a backdrop of social diversity and countercultural buzz. Artists and politicians alike make Berlin home, and the influence of both groups on the city provides an unusual and attractive mixture of subcultures and types. Whether or not Berlin's bohemian vibe does you right, you'll enjoy the city's broad boulevards, monuments, museums and neighborhoods.
Ready to plan your trip to Berlin? Get started here:
- Find a bed in Berlin: Most of Berlin’s beds (even the most budget among them) have style to spare. Read our reviews to find the art hotel or funky hostel that’s best for you.
- Get out of town: Whether you’re in the mood for a lake escape or a wooded fairyland, there are some great day trips around Berlin.
- Plan your trip: Our budget tips guide gives tips on everything from museum prices to free sights in Berlin.
Most popular hotels in Berlin (by views)
Berlin blog posts
- Berlin: Where to watch the World Cup final
- Berlin’s best cheap eats: Döner, currywurst, food markets and outdoor dining
- A Walking Tour of former East Berlin: Hanging out in Friedrichshain
- 10 ways to explore the history of the Berlin Wall
- Enter to win 2 tickets to Berlin this November to celebrate the fall of the Wall!
- Germany to Prague: Under-the-radar travel options and finding special fares
- Germany’s discount bus craze: How I scored a €1 bus trip from Berlin to Bremen
- The €2 urban oasis: Enjoy blooms year-round in Berlin’s Britzer Garten
- Riding the budget bus lines in Germany with fares from €5
- Berlin in 2014: Book your ticket for these 5 can’t-miss events