The biggest expense in travel is often accommodation. If you’re on a strict budget and need the super cheapo hotel scoop on Barcelona, look no further than this cheapest-of-the-cheap list.
Hostels and Cheap Accommodation in Barcelona
The common room at the Itaca Hostel.
Youth Hostels in Barcelona
A bed in a dorm will be your best cut-rate bet if you’re traveling alone in Barcelona. A dorm bed at Hostel One Paralelo, for example, can be as low as $13 in off season, though quite often beds in Barcelona’s center hover around $20.
Barcelona youth hostels with exceptionally affordable rates are:
HelloBcn: The HelloBCN Hostel is a superb 148-bed establishment located right around the corner from Paral-lel Metro stop. One of the best deals in Barcelona, this hostel is new and offers just about anything a traveler could want. It gets our overall "top hostel" value vote.
Itaca Hostel: A cozy place, Itaca offers four dorm rooms and one private twin room in the main building, with a few more private rooms in another building a couple streets away. This Gothic Quarter spot gets our vote for the hostel with the most charm and friendliest vibe.
The Hostal Fernando in the Gothic Quarter.
Hostal Fernando: Dorm rooms are simply furnished with lockers and white bunk beds. They sleep four, six, or eight, and some of the larger rooms feature a small table and chairs. They have air conditioning, but no other in-room amenities. Located in the Gothic Quarter, this is one of our favorite Barcelona bargains.
Hostel One Paralelo: The dorms at the Hostel One Paralelo are all mixed, and they contain between from two and eight beds each. The fewer beds your room has, the more expensive it is, and there is usually a difference of about €2.50 between each room rate. Hostel One Paralelo’s only drawback is that is slightly further out of the center than the other youth hostels mentioned above.
The Hostal Maldà
Other super cheapo accommodations-
If you’re traveling with another person you’ll probably be able to save more money on hotels. If a bunk-bed in a youth hostal goes for $20 a night, then paying $5 more per person to stay at $50 Hostal Barcelona Rooms makes good sense. These are some of the most competitive hostals/pensions in the metropolis:
Hostal Maldà: One of the funkier hostals in the city for sure, but also reliably cheap. If you book over the phone it’s about $25, but if you book online they will charge you €10 more. It’s a bit worn, but the owners are friendly.
Hostal Noya: Located right at the top of La Rambla, it is impossible to get any more central than the Noya. Don’t expect many perks here, it’s bare-bones all the way. However, the Noya is family-run by a couple of hospitable locals who make the hostal feel homey. Doubles go for about $47 a night, a real steal on La Rambla.
Barcelona Rooms: A 30-room guesthouse situated right next to the Urgell Metro stop in central Barcelona, the Barcelona Rooms offers singles and doubles, with shared or private bathrooms.
- See all recommended cheap hotels in Barcelona
- What to expect from budget accommodation in Barcelona
- When to visit Barcelona
Most popular hotels in Barcelona (by views)
Barcelona blog posts
- Visiting Barcelona: Finding the best dates to save money and beat the crowds
- Craft beer in Barcelona: Breweries, festivals, bars and where to stay
- Cheapo Barcelona tip: Book a hotel in the city center to save time, money and stress
- Living like a local: Eating, walking, kissing and (not) tipping in Barcelona
- Barcelona hotels: The best budget choices for mom and daughter travel
- Barcelona: 3 affordable hotel options in the center city for quick trips
- Beaches, mountains, museums & hot springs: 5 winter escapes in Spain
- 9 reasons you need to check out Barcelona in 2014
- Affordable mountain escape from Barcelona: The Pyrenees
- Budget stays in Barcelona when traveling with a group