Whether you arrive by plane, train, or boat, it's easy to get into the lovely town of Bruges, Belgium.
Getting Into Bruges
While many people arrive in Bruges by way of the train or a rental car, some travelers will end up at the nearest airport, Charleroi. From here, there's a shuttle bus (one way tickets are €20; returns €38) to Bruges’ city center.
If arriving into Ostend airport, known as Bruges International Airport and a hub for Jetair budget airlines, a taxi is recommended. Ostend is only 25 kilometers (about 15 miles) from the city center.
Shuttle bus service is only available from Charleroi airport and the main Bruges train station.
In Bruges’ city center, there are a number of city and regional buses, operated by De Lijn. You can buy a one-day pass for unlimited travel.
Bruges only has one main train station, operated by Belgian National Railway Company (BNRC), and from here, it’s simple to find a taxi cab or walk to your final destination. Walking from the station to most area hotels will take between 10-20 minutes whereas a taxi costs about €10 and takes approximately 5 minutes.
For information on the train station’s operating policies and timetables, visit their web site.
Note: Free public transportation is available for those who park their cars at the train station for the duration of their trip.
Many tourists arrive first by boat to smaller towns like Zeebrugge (Bruges’ port area) and Ostend. Taxis are easily accessible once travelers are ashore.
And, don't forget, you can hoof it just about anywhere in Bruges.
Flying into Bruges
Visit our Bruges budget flights guide for more information on low-cost airlines flying into and out of Bruges.
Most popular hotels in Bruges (by views)
Bruges blog posts
- Holland and Belgium: Consider smaller destinations beyond the capitals
- 3 Rail Tips for 2013: Consider regional passes, return tickets and stopovers
- From Britain to the Continent: North Sea Ferries
- Amsterdam Bike Tours: 5 tours with fun themes
- The Cheapo 100: Our favorite budget hotels in Europe
- French Train Sale: Cheap train tickets from Paris this summer (reserve before June 30)
- Travel Planning: Five tips for finding a cheap hotel during summer
- Oscar Nominated Films in Europe!
- Bruges cheap souvenir: Lace
- Bruges: Underground church visit for free