Ahh, Athens, you authentically ancient metropolis. Sure, news out of Greece has been relatively bleak lately, but that should not deter you from Athens. After all, a city that's existed for more than 4,000 years can surely survive some economic woes, right? You can forget all those stories you've heard of grubby, polluted Athens; today, the city's air is pleasant and clean, and growing more so thanks to a vastly improved public transportation system and a commitment to climate change.
Add a dynamic nightlife and a surge in immigrants that has altered the face of the city (and seriously diversified the retail and restaurant scene) and you have a city that's as vibrant as it is enchanting. And then of course there's what most people come to Athens to see: the ancient city, with its collection of awe-inspiring structures, many of which are now linked by a large pedestrian zone. The Acropolis is beyond stunning. The sight of the Parthenon lit up against the night sky can render even the most jaded traveler a bit choked up.
Most popular hotels in Athens (by views)
Athens blog posts
- European Rail Services: Big changes in Greece
- Why Travel to Macedonia? The Macedonian Question
- European Tourism Outlook: Summer 2011
- European Rail Strike Update: Which trains are affected?
- Athens: Parks and gardens for some good, green fun
- Across Europe by Bus: Eurolines and other bus options
- Athens: Visit the new Acropolis Museum for €1
- Athens tip: Five free podcasts
- UPDATED: Where to Watch Barack Obama’s Inauguration in Europe
- Athens cheap souvenir: Archeological maps!