London balances proper precision with a healthy dose of cheek. The seat of the one-time Empire may creak under the weight of history, delighting visitors and residents with innumerable hints of the past, yet the city also intoxicates with its very contemporary blend of cultures and its packs of kids so fashionable that they just might hurt you.
London City Guide Introduction
London has some of the world's most recognizable sights to offer. Photo: Antonia Hayes.
In London, you can see iconic landmarks, view some of the best theater the world has to offer and hear the world's most progressive DJs. There are also palaces, museums (many of which are free!), cool shops and cozy pubs. The unbelievable diversity in cuisine and culture and the city's sheer entrepreneurial spirit are all irresistible. London's hectic spirit is truly unto itself.
If you already hear Big Ben chiming but are afraid of shedding too many pounds, never fear. We’ve got everything you need to explore London on the cheap.
• Get situated: Bloomsbury, Soho, Belgravia... London’s got many ‘hoods you’ve heard of (and some you haven’t), each with its own distinct style. Our guide to Choosing the Right Neighborhood in London will help you find the best place to stay whether you’re looking to party, soak up the culture or just plain save.
• Get a room: Now that you know where to sleep, book a room! We’ve beat feet around town and found the best budget sleeps in London for every type of traveler.
• Get a plan: That many of London’s museums and attractions are free is music to our cheapo ears. Check out our London Budget Tips to save a bundle.
Popular hotels in London (by views)
London blog posts
- London Budget Eats: 5 classic British dishes to try
- London’s biggest budget hotel to open in West End
- London Cheap Things To Do: Totally Thames Festival
- London: Cheapo neighborhood guide to Islington
- The cheapest way to travel between London & Paris: Planes, trains & buses from £1.50
- London Day Trip: Visit Brighton for a low-cost seaside getaway
- London: Where to eat for cheap near the West End theatre district
- London: Affordable hotels close to the city’s top attractions
- Budget food shopping in London: A guide to the city’s supermarkets
- Pre-Trip Checklist: 10 ways to save time and money before you leave for Europe