London's bus system, although slower than the Tube, is just as easy and less expensive. If you like the thought of being able to see the London scenery pass you by while you get from point to point, buses may be the way to go.
City Buses: Getting around London
Though most of London's buses are new, sleeker models, some routes still feature the famous Routemaster model. Photo: Yves Doutreligne.
Taking a bus is one of the cheapest ways to move about London, with fares costing just £2.40 per ride.
With the Oyster Card, it’s even cheaper, as a single ride costs just £1.40 and there is a £4.40 daily cap. 7-day passes can be purchased for £19.60.
Where to buy
Though you can buy tickets with cash on board most buses, some services in central London require you to have a ticket before you get on. You can determine this by the signage at the bus stop. If your bus number is displayed with a yellow background, you need to buy a ticket from the machine at the bus stop before boarding.
After midnight, night buses (prefixed with the letter "N" in front of the route number) prowl the streets. Night buses run limited routes, so do the necessary advance research. Night buses are also usually something of a madcap adventure, especially on weekends when they fill with late-night partiers hitting clubs or ready to hit the sack.
For more information, read our previous post about London buses, and why we love them!
Most popular hotels in London (by views)
London blog posts
- A new look for London’s Generator Hostel
- Qbic London City: Does the new hotel manage to be both chic and cheap?
- In praise of London’s independent hotels
- London day trip: History and entertainment at Warwick Castle
- Visiting London: 5 easy ways to keep your wallet happy
- London restaurants: 4 ways to save big the next time you eat out
- London: A cheapo guide to Paddington’s hotels, restaurants and bars
- London cinema: How to score tickets on the cheap
- $240 flights to London rolling out this summer on Norwegian Air
- “London Villages”: A holiday gift idea for the urban explorer