Munich is not a cheap city. Its wealth and busy social calendar mean that the city is often full of tourists.
Expect to Spend: Munich
The hotels we recommend here run from €40 to €125 for a double room. Prices spike during Oktoberfest and conventions. It's important to know that Munich has a very busy social calendar, with conventions and meetings planned basically throughout the year.
You can't leave Munich without sampling the city's artery-clogging treats, which include scrumptious schnitzels and potatoes in various incarnations, more often than not served with beer. You can expect to pay a good €20 for a traditional Bavarian meal.
As in many European cities, small cafés in Munich will sell less substantial meals like sandwiches for decent prices. A filling café lunch shouldn't set you back more than €10, and can run as little as €7.
Don't neglect "imbiss" (fast-food) kiosks. Often featuring Turkish food, "imbiss" kiosks provide Cheapo delights somewhere between a snack and a full meal in size. Meat eaters who spend time in Germany will invariably discover and fall in love with the döner kebab. Döner kebabs are a truly hybrid Turkish-German fast food delight. Developed in the early 1970s, they are a clear variation on the traditional Turkish version of the dish. In the hybrid German version, grilled meat and salad is stuffed into a pita and doused with sauce. Expect to spend €2 on an imbiss döner kebab.
Popular hotels in Munich (by views)
Munich blog posts
- Munich: 10 ways to save time and money at Oktoberfest
- Exploring Munich: 7 free and fun things to do
- Munich: 5 classic Bavarian bakery items for around €1
- Report from Oktoberfest: A guide to the tents, tastes, and trends
- Deutsche Bahn’s new bus service connects Berlin with Krakow from €29
- Flood Alert: Train cancellations in the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany and beyond
- Aldi and Lidl, oh my! A guide to Germany’s discount grocery stores
- Book Review: A very Rough Guide to Germany
- Kassel’s dOCUMENTA Exhibition: Get your modern art fix through Sept. 16
- Win a trip to Germany, courtesy of airberlin, A&O Hostels and EuroCheapo!