Munich's beautiful airport is well-linked to the center of the city. Read how to get in from or back to the airport, and let us warn you for the umpteenth time not to take a taxi while in Munich. We don't know about you, but we don't like paying more for a taxi than we do for airfare.
Getting Into Munich
How to get in from the airport
Munich's spotless, ultramodern Franz Josef Strauss Airport is located 28km (18 miles) northeast of the city. For more airport information, check out the official Franz Josef Strauss Airport website.
The S-Bahn provides the least expensive route into central Munich from the airport. Hop on the S-1 or S-8 line from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof. The trip takes about 45 minutes and costs €8.80. Trains depart six times an hour during the day and less frequently at night.
There's an airport bus connection on the Arnulfstrasse side of the main train station. A one-way journey costs €10. The airport bus takes 45 minutes and runs at 20-minute intervals between 6 a.m. and 7:50 p.m.
Taxis are expensive. End of story. We do not recommend taking a cab from the airport into the city. From Franz Josef Strauss Airport, you can expect to shell out €60 for a journey into the central city.
How to get in from the main train station
Munich's Hauptbahnhof, or main train station, is located adjacent to Munich's attraction-rich Stadtmitte. The Hauptbahnhof, conveniently, is also a major U-Bahn and S-Bahn hub, where you can make easy connections to central city destinations.
Flying into Munich
Visit our Munich budget flights section for more information on low-cost airlines flying into and out of Munich.
Most popular hotels in Munich (by views)
Munich blog posts
- Report from Oktoberfest: A guide to the tents, tastes, and trends
- Deutsche Bahn’s new bus service connects Berlin with Krakow from €29
- Flood Alert: Train cancellations in the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany and beyond
- Aldi and Lidl, oh my! A guide to Germany’s discount grocery stores
- Book Review: A very Rough Guide to Germany
- Kassel’s dOCUMENTA Exhibition: Get your modern art fix through Sept. 16
- Win a trip to Germany, courtesy of airberlin, A&O Hostels and EuroCheapo!
- Having a Bâle in Basel? Know your exonyms!
- Eurolines: International coach journeys in Europe
- Germany: Exploring Leipzig in the autumn